Wednesday, January 17, 2018

About the music: I Have Had Singing, Agnus Dei, Thank You for the Music, Total Praise

Hello everyone!
Here are some links to reference text, context and composers:

"I Have Had Singing" TTBB - setting by Ron Jeffers
Ron Jeffers 1943 – 2017 wasone of the founders of Earthsongs publishing company.
Wrote I H H S as a gift to choirs. The sheet music is available free over internet, not for sale anywhere!


Fascinating book which references the text: lotta garble but I think you can extract the pertinent information - Begin at p114 “Singing at work and the dialectic of grounded happiness”

Here's a review of the book where the text was first published

And, if you're in a hurry - here's a bit of info about the text, taken from program notes here  http://stevensametz.com/composer/works/info/i-have-had-singing/

 I Have Had Singing paraphrases lines taken from Ronald Blythe’s Akenfield, Portrait of an English Village.  In the 1960’s, Blythe traveled to the north of England interviewing farmers, plowmen, blacksmiths — people whose stories dated back to the early 20th century.  One subject, given the name Fred Mitchell in the book, was an 80-year old horseman who told his story of working a bleak, unfertile land in a life filled with little joy. In the midst of his story, he stopped and said, “But there was always singing; the boys in the field, the chapels were full of singing. I have had pleasure enough; I have had singing.” 


Thank you for the music
About ABBA 

-------------------------
Here is a wonderful article about Richard Smallwood that references “Total Praise”

Agnus Dei text and musics
In the liturgy
Music:
LISTEN TO SOME OF THE PIECES REFERENCED IN THIS ARTICLE!!!

About Franz Schubert
BUT 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Schubert is much, much, much better. It is a super long article but I recommend this one if you really want to ‘get to know’ Mr. Schubert.

Franz (was) moved around a bit after he died
About the Zentralfriedhof – AMAZING PLACE. I have been there. I cannot tell you how awe-struck I was, to actually touch BEETHOVEN'S GRAVE. Somehow, despite years upon years of loving labor on various compositions, he truly became a Real Person (TM) to me when I went to the cemetery. He's near Schubert and Brahms (who has a most interesting gravestone indeed - one that I'm sure would have greatly amused him!)

No comments:

Post a Comment