Wednesday, March 21, 2018

SPRING BREAK FRIES - THE AIOLI METHOD

Hello everyone,

Perhaps you prefer to track your practice according to "things accomplished" rather than "allotted time finished?" - - Human nature being what it is, I sometimes have to force myself to put in work every day. When I'm feeling like that, or when other things encroach upon practice time, I prefer the time-management method, which ensures that I am sitting at the keyboard EVERY DAY.

Other times, I like to simply set a goal - a daily goal for each piece - and then put in as much time and effort as is necessary in order to accomplish that goal. This might be a daily goal or even a weekly goal.

EXAMPLE:
My previous post detailed the "time" method - determining tasks, estimating time to completion, setting daily time quota, and going for it.

The "task" method assumes a greater level of self-discipline than the "time" method - no one method is the only one to use - - tailor your own strategy according to the degree of self-knowledge you possess :-)

I've done both, honestly - and I don't prefer one over the other - - the right tool for the right job!

I have also done set a practice goal for a session and then tracked how quickly I was able to accomplish it! I call that method "short-order cooking" -- if one knows HOW to practice efficiently, it is incredibly effective.

Whatever method/s you decide to employ, please consider making this a non-negotiable declaration of purpose:

I WILL KEEP MY CONCERT MUSIC IN MY MIND, HEART AND SOUL EVERY SINGLE DAY, WHETHER OR NOT I AM ACTIVELY WORKING ON IT.

In musical solidarity,
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment